Patañjali Yoga Sutras Intensive
Four Seasonal 9-week Sessions
Spring Season April 8 - June 3
LIVE on Thursdays, 4:45-5:45pm MT
Lifetime access to recordings
Due to the nature of the material, students must register for the course in its entirety, there is no option to sign up for only one of the four sessions.
Reading: Once you've signed you can go ahead and read the Intro in Edwin Bryant's translation of Patanjali Yoga Sutras.
About the Yoga Sutras
Patañjali’s Yoga Sutras are a brilliant avenue of study for those in the midst of conscious evolution. It’s a platform of inquiry and self-study for those who practice meditation, yoga, or psychology and want more language for the constructs of the mind from the Vedic perspective.
It’s less a philosophy and more a method for understanding reality as a dualistic interaction between nature and consciousness—a manual for calming the mind by way of dancing the edge between effort and relaxation. It’s also known as Rāja Yoga, or the “royal path” because one becomes, through the purificatory practices suggested in the text, the sovereign, not the slave, of their own mind. This is the path of meditation.
About the Course
Allison intends to share the teachings traditionally and cleanly from the Sanskrit text while simultaneously referring to our shared sense of modern reality. This course aims to be of genuine support as you transform and evolve to become more content, more peaceful, and more connected to your reality.
Each of the four chapters of the text will be offered as 9-week seasonal sessions. We’ll be using Edwin Bryant’s translation of Patañjali’s Yoga Sutras which you can find quite easily for purchase online.
Each class begins by chanting the sutras we’re discussing, followed by lecture and occasional discussion. Each of the nine weeks, homework is reading the entirety of the chapter we're studying in addition to meditative practices given along the way.
Each session includes:
- 9 weeks of LIVE class, recorded and cataloged online with lifetime access.
- A transliterated vocabulary sheet for you to print out and take notes
- Optional support grouping students together if you’d like a study buddy
- Chanting the sutras in Sanskrit with instruction along the way for proper pronunciation
- A rich vocabulary for understanding the constructs of the mind
Direct access to Allison for a special discounted tutoring rate of $30–50 per half hour during the course.
Spring 2021: April 8 - June 3
Chapter 1: Samādhi Pāda
- Definition of yoga
- Abhyāsa and vairāgya
- Calming the mind
Summer 2021: dates tba
Chapter 2: Sādhana Pāda
- Kriyā Yoga
- Aṣṭāṅga Yoga
Autumn 2021: dates tba (hopefully LIVE from North India)
Chapter 3: Vibhuti Pāda
- Brief review Ch 1 & 2
- Inner limbs
- Saṁskāras and Dharmin
Winter 2022: dates tba (hopefully LIVE from South India)
Chapter 4: Kaivalya Pāda
Brief review Ch 1–3
- Karma and Saṁskāras
- Time and Guṇas
Four Sessions, Nine Weeks each, One 60-minute class per week, lifetime access to videos
- 12 monthly payments of $36
- Seasonal Asana Add-on $108 for 9 weekly asana classes. Classes are recorded and you have lifetime access to the videos.
- Seasonal Kirtan Add-on $108 for 9 weeks of Kirtan on Sunday evenings + Sacred Soaps on the last Friday of each month. Recorded and you have access to the videos throughout the 9 weeks of the season.